How can I stop a judgement?

Q: How can I stop a judgement?

A credit card company said I signed up for there service in 2005. I filed court paper work saying that I did not sign up for this card or signed documents for a card agreement. So now in 2012 they got a judgement on my wife for all of 7 years of interest and late fees. How can I stop them from garnishing her check.

A: It will be very hard for you to set aside or vacate the judgment, but it is possible and will take a lot of research on your point, assuming that you are still within the time frame to file the motions and that your facts fit the proper criteria to set aside.

Bankruptcy may be a legitimate option for you depending on your current finances, the amount of assets that you have and the amount of debt that you have incurred, including the debt from the judgment. You should consult an attorney to discuss your options regarding the judgment and whether it would be prudent to file for bankruptcy to alleviate the debt.

* You and I do not have an attorney-client relationship formed by our communications on this website. Advice given by me on this website is general advice based on partial information. You should not rely on any advice given without first hiring a lawyer in the area where the case is pending, and providing that lawyer with full information.

Answered by Parker Evan Bornmann, Glendale AZ Bankruptcy Lawyer.
Re-Posted from AVVO Legal Questions and Answers.

Leave a Reply